[WSBARP] Input requested

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Wed May 25 14:46:06 PDT 2022

See, I don't know Rod - don't you think this is highly distinguishable
given that the case dealt with subdivision of property *within *the
community; where this case concerns accessing a property *outside *the
community? or am I reading the case wrong? It's complex, but if I sorted
through it correctly, I think it came down to objecting to the increased
use from someone subdividing a parcel within the community (rejecting the
argument that the road wasn't intended for use by more homes than was
originally there). This situation, however, talks about using the jointly
owned parcel to access a parcel outside the community altogether.

I would be concerned also with a prescriptive easement claim down the road
and whether creating a scenario that clearly sets everyone up for such a
claim isn't a prohibited "infringement" of the other co-tenants' interests.
You might argue that with the "permissive" use from one co-tenant (Business
LLC), that use of Tract P for access by the outside property would never
arise to that level. But I wonder if that still isn't a risk where there
wasn't permission by the other owners - as permission can be rescinded. Has
a case dealt with that in any way? I think it's darn sure that someone will
argue it down the road. Either way you are on shaky ground - as either
permission from one owner doesn't extend to permission from the others and
thus exposes the other owners to risk of prescriptive easement; or, if
permission from one owner precludes an easement because that owner is found
to "speak" on behalf of all owners, then the business runs the risk of one
of the other owners rescinding that permission, and now you're out the
access.

I am nearly certain now that I think about it that there is a case that an
easement cannot be granted without permission from all parties; a husband
had signed the easement but his wife was incompetent and had not agreed or
signed off, and the easement held invalid as she had not agreed to it. I'll
see if I can remember the name of the case.

Long & short, I think there needs to be a compelling reason to go through
what you need to create this access without getting permission from the
other tract owners to be worth taking this path (no pun intended), as I
just see this as opening a very interesting can of worms. And "interesting"
is never a good thing for the client.

Carmen Rowe, Attorney/Owner

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office:* 2611 NE 113th St. Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98125

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. For issues requiring physical presence we will work with you
on applicable guidelines. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.

If we are communicating with you regarding a debt or monies owed, THIS MAY
BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, AND ANY INFORMATION WILL BE USED FOR THAT
PURPOSE. You have the right to seek legal advice from an attorney. To the
extent that the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies, this
firm is acting as a debt collector for the firm's client named above. Any
information obtained will be used for collection purposes.