[WSBARP] Is trustee administering trust after grantor's death exempt from real property disclosure statement

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 07:15:35 PDT 2022

Personal knowledge has nothing to do with the right to an exemption from
Form 17 and there is a "don't know" answer still (despite the
mis-directed efforts of a state Legislator).  I was the trustee on a
sale of a house and had a lot of personal knowledge since I saw my
father build it and lived in it for a time.  Given my mother's failing
memory I probably had better knowledge of the house than she did in her
later years.

Banks typically have no personal knowledge and are not exempt. Only PR's
and bankruptcy trustees are exempt.

But to the OP's question--a lot of real estate brokers do not understand
the exemption, so it's quite common to see an improper exemption
claimed.  That probably benefits the buyer where the trustee in fact has
little or no knowledge, because it gives them an out before closing.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148