[WSBARP] HB 1951 Seller Disclosure Statement

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 12:12:12 PST 2022

I sent this out earlier today to the Google RP group, but forgot this group:

Washington Realtors put out a "Call to Action" on this bill, which
requires sellers to answer yes/no to Form 17 questions they don't know.
A Call to Action requests brokers contact their legislators.  I'm taking
that as meaning that the bill is getting some traction.

I would suggest real estate attorneys and their regular clients do the
same.  You can find your representatives in the House here:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

[RANT] As an aside, I'm getting rather discouraged if not depressed by
the quality of legislation that has been coming out of Olympia for the
past 15 years or so.  My attention was first drawn to that with the
first version of the Distressed Property Law, but after that I noticed
piece after piece of legislation that was not necessarily a bad idea,
but at a minimum just poorly drafted.  It's like inertia just carries
these things through without all the fixes necessary.

But then there's this recent work on the Seller Disclosure statement.
Last year they amended the thing twice, with neither bill recognizing
the other.  One change was totally unnecessary (yet another notification
the buyer gets that racial covenants are not enforceable) and one of
questionable necessity but clearly poorly thought out (Internet provider
where no service available and no service currently connected get the
exact same answer). And now this year, where rather than deal
intelligently with the problems Form 17 has had for years they introduce
legislation that can only be described as ignorant.[/RANT]

Anyway, please consider doing what you can to let your legislators know
about what a bad idea this legislation is.

--

Kary L. Krismer