[WSBARP] USA / Mexico and Wills

Andrew Hay andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net
Wed Jan 19 12:11:20 PST 2022

This seems like a risk to me.  Sounds like they actually live in Mexico.  Can someone attack the will by showing it was not executed properly under Mexican or Texas law?  Notary titles and roles also vary from country to country.

If they execute it in a way that is valid under Mexico law it would be valid here in WA, but do we know Texas accepts wills properly executed under the law of Mexico?

A little high on my risk meter, but my concerns would be lower if the will was drafted by a Mexican attorney so that you know for sure it is valid under the laws of where it was signed.

Andrew Hay
Hay & Swann PLLC
201 S. 34th St.
Tacoma, WA 98418
www.washingtonlaw.net<http://www.washingtonlaw.net/>
andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net<mailto:andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net>
He/him/his
253.272.2400 (w)
253.377.3085 (c)
THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION AND IS INTENDED FOR THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT ONLY.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES