[WSBARP] Referral needed RE Transfer of interest in property (King County)

Nancy Lee nancy at nancyleelaw.comcastbiz.net
Thu Jan 6 13:13:43 PST 2022

List mates,
I'm looking for a referral for an attorney who can assist a client of mine transfer interest in property she is entitled to under a partnership agreement.  This entitlement has already been approved by (I believe) the IRS.   I do not want to perform this task because it creates a COI for me.

The situation, briefly(?) - Mom and step-dad (for whom I did their estate documents in 2013) own a piece of property with a dwelling on it that is immediately adjacent to their family home - separate parcel number.

  1.  The property/dwelling is currently titled in mom and step-dad's name only.
  2.  Daughter (I represent her in her capacity as guardian for her disabled adult son) has a partnership agreement/contract with mom and step-dad whereby daughter is actually entitled to 50% interest in the property/dwelling.  She has obtained a decision (I don't believe in Superior Court; but rather perhaps through the IRS) that she is indeed entitled to the 50% interest.  The parties never got around to having the 50% interest in title transferred to her. FYI this was all news to me as the subdivision took place after 2013 etc etc.
  3.  Step-dad now needs Medicaid LTC - DSHS is counting piece of property/dwelling adjacent to family home as countable resource - does not qualify for the "contiguous" exception because there is  a dwelling on it and someone is living there.
  4.  Thus, plan is to transfer the rightfully owned 50% interest to daughter - this may need to be approved first (?) in superior court because....
  5.  Mom and step-dad are now incapacitated; AND daughter is their agent under their DPOAs.

I will be happy to provide background; details; etc. but I need to be removed from this.  Thus, would need an experienced attorney who can assess the situation for themselves and take the lead.  After that is accomplished, mom and step-dad's remaining interest in property/dwelling can then transferred into a sole benefit trust for disabled adult grandchild's actuarial lifetime. No gifting penalty.   I'm fine with drafting the trust if appropriate or attorney can.  Daughter prefers a King County attorney as property and parties all live in King Co.

Thank-you in advance!
Nancy Lee

Nancy J. Lee
Attorney at Law