[WSBARP] Late Filing of unsecured Creditor claim

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Thu Feb 24 13:16:41 PST 2022

Justin:

The duty to accept or reject a claim is only in place when the claim is properly filed, which means, in addition to other things, within the time limits.  See RCW 11.40.080, 11.40.070, and RCW 11.40.051.  So, from a statutory duty perspective your client does not have to do anything.  You can simply ignore it.

This risk is that the claimant (or their attorney) does not read the statute and wastes your time, or worse, files some sort of action.  So it may be prudent to write a short letter citing the statutes, telling them their claim is barred because it was filed outside of the time limits, and that any further action will result in a claim by your client for attorney fees (although the last part may be more appropriate if the claimant keeps coming at you.

I don't like to send them a form rejection because I always think that might give them the idea that I actually have to formally reject the claim and motivate them to pursue further.  Others may have a different opinion/approach.

Regards,

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
A Washington Chartered Trust Company
Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal
155 NE 100th St., Suite 209 Seattle, WA  98125
T:  (206) 782-1189 F:  (206) 782-1434
mcv at ohanafc.com<mailto:mcv at ohanafc.com>      www.ohanafc.com<http://www.ohanafc.com/>

CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

This communication may contain information that is confidential.  It was intended only for the named or a specific recipient.  If you have received this communication in error.  Please delete it immediately and contact the sender to advise them of improper delivery.

This communication is not intended to provide legal advice to the recipient.  The sender does not represent you as legal counsel and neither this communication or any conversations you may have with the sender creates an attorney client relationship with the sender.  If you seek legal advice please retain an attorney, but it will be someone else.