[WSBARP] Options other than probate

Leighann Hansing hansinglegal at outlook.com
Tue Feb 8 11:27:34 PST 2022

Listmates,
I have a client who wants to record a Transfer on Death Deed on her debt-free real property in King County to avoid probate.  I discovered, however, that the property is currently jointly owned by the client and her deceased mother. No joint tenancy or survivorship language.  Mom died in 2008. Client was the sole beneficiary to mom's estate under her will (no siblings). If client had predeceased mom, the property would have gone to client's son (who the property would transfer to under the desired TOD deed.) I know title companies use a Lack of Probate Affidavit to clear a title but the authority to do so is a little murky especially in King County. Is probate inevitable?

Many thanks,

Leigh Ann Hansing
Attorney | Hansing Legal
14201 SE Petrovitsky Rd. #3A169