[WSBARP] UD and Arbitration

Kelby Derenick kelby at derenicklaw.com
Fri Aug 19 16:56:53 PDT 2022

If I am reading the statute correctly, it looks like UD actions are
excepted under RCW 59.18.320(1)(b)(ii).  Maybe I am reading that wrong.  I
had this come up years ago but it was with a commercial case with an
arbitration provision in the contract.  I filed the case and the other
party never filed a notice of arbitration to request the court transfer it
to arbitration.  So it was never an issue.  If neither party wants it in
arbitration I don't see why a court would enforce it.  But for a
residential case, it looks like it might be excepted entirely.

Have a good weekend.

Kelby J. Derenick
Attorney

*10018 Greenwood Ave. N*
*Seattle, WA 98133*
*Ph. (206) 659-5061*

*14 E. Main Street, Suite 207*
*Walla Walla, WA 99362*
*Ph: (509) 676-9805*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message contains information
that (a) is or may be legally privileged, confidential, proprietary in
nature, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure, and (b) is intended
only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not the
intended recipient, an addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
this to an addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying,
or distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact me
immediately and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely
from your computer system.  Thank you.