[WSBARP] LT law/Apartment Fire

Leighann Hansing hansinglegal at outlook.com
Fri Aug 12 12:11:23 PDT 2022

Good morning,
Interesting fact pattern that I would like some feedback on. I have been helping some victims of an apartment fire with their renter's insurance claims and we are running into some LT issues that are out of my skill set.

Tenant has guest staying with him. Guest brings potentially stolen car with significant back-end damage onto property and parks said car in a monitored parking space under carport. It's on property for a week or so. Tenant's guest is seen working on vehicle during the day. That evening the car explodes and immediately engulfs into flames. The fire spreads to the neighboring cars and the carport. It was a windy day and the fire quickly spread to one of the buildings. The roof catches fire and the closest second floor apartments were a total loss within minutes; bottom apartments have significant water damage. The Fire Department responded within minutes of the call. It was a 3-alarm fire. There was a fire wall that contained much of the fire damage to one (4-apt) section of the building but all three sections were vacated. At 2am (several hours after fire dept. left), a fire ignited in a second floor apartment in the next section over. FD responds. The second section is now a total loss. Landlord wants to demolish the entire building and is offering to return the full month's rent (the fire happened mid-month), prepaid rent, and refundable security deposits in exchange for a full release of liability. Landlord's insco hired Jenson Hughes to investigate. Report is pending. PDR has been made to FD for their report.

Do the tenants have any claims against the landlord? I would typically say no because the fire wasn't caused by a failure to maintain or other obvious landlord negligence. I am wondering if there are potential claims against the landlord for criminal activity on the property and for the second fire.

At this time, I'm limiting my involvement to explaining the release language to the tenants and explaining the alternative of refusing to sign the release. Please correct me if I am wrong: Under the relevant RCWs, tenants that are constructively evicted under these circumstances are entitled to a pro-rata refund of rent for the month of the fire, any prepaid rent, and any refundable security deposit. Basically, landlord is offering consideration of 20 days rent for a full release of claims.

Are there any procedural considerations for obtaining the refunds without signing the release? The landlord informed the tenants in writing that the apartment was inhabitable as of the date of the fire.

If anything else pops out, please let me know.

If anyone is interested in helping out these tenants directly... they'd be more than grateful. They are low-income and overwhelmed. Please feel free to reach out to me off-list.

Leigh Ann Hansing
Attorney  |  MBA
Mobile: (425) 202-5922
leighann at hansinglegal.com<mailto:leighann at hansinglegal.com>