[WSBARP] Two Lawyers, Please

Dave Culbertson dculbertson at culbertsonlawoffice.com
Fri Aug 5 09:19:37 PDT 2022

Hello, Listmates.
An accountant has asked me about a legal problem one of her small business clients has. It involves LNI, which is out of my area. I see a need for two potential lawyers, hoping to pass on some referral names to the accountant.
Lawyer 1:
It's a father-and-son company, son was an employee but then became a manager of the business. LNI has audited, alleges a big shortfall in worker's comp payments over the last two and half years. The business and accountant have sought to appeal, but LNI disputes the timeliness of the appeal request. So they are litigating a couple of issues with LNI. Per the accountant, they believe the business could afford a reasonable retainer to get legal representation.
Lawyer 2:
Since the accountant would be on the hook if they are ultimately found to not have timely requested an appeal or review of LNI: they would do well to at least consult with an attorney familiar with professional malpractice defense. The accountant runs a bookkeeping and accounting practice that helps several Hispanic small businesses. Speaks English fluently, is a generally reliable sort despite this problem.

Thanks for any interest or ideas.

Best Regards,

Dave Culbertson

The Law Office of Davisson Culbertson