[WSBARP] Interesting Residential Landlord/Tenant Ren Assistance Issue

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Thu Apr 28 22:02:53 PDT 2022

I would mimic Maxwell's responses because the funds are ERAP funds. Had
they been mitigation funds - my answer would be different.

I would like to iterate very clearly that the statute on security deposits
is very clear. The 21 day clock is ticking and the delivery of the full and
specific statement of retention of any of the security deposit. It's a hard
and fast rule. Don't mess with it. As TT's new forwarding address so as to
"send whatever remainder exists of the security deposit." That new address
will be helpful. If they don't provide it - then send the letter to the
last known address (the property). RCW 59.18.280. In 2021, the law changed
and added the following language at the end of the statute"

 " (3) Nothing in this chapter shall preclude the landlord from proceeding
against, and the landlord shall have the right to proceed against a tenant
to recover sums exceeding the amount of the tenant's damage or security
deposit for damage to the property for which th tenant is responsible
together with reasonable attorneys' fees. *However, if the landlord seeks
reimbursement for damages from the landlord mitigation program pursuant to
RCW 43.31.605(1)(d), the landlord is prohibited from retaining any portion
of the tenant's damage or security deposit or proceeding against the tenant
who terminates under RCW 59.18.575 to recover sums exceeding the amount of
the tenant's damage or security deposit for damage to the property.*"

*Kaitlyn*

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 3:07 PM Maxwell Glasson <max at glassonlegal.com>
wrote:

> Interesting,
>

> Here are my thoughts in an out of order way:
>

> Any thoughts on what LL needs to do to document this so that they are
> protected from the possibility of allegations that LL acted improperly?
>
>    - I would have LL enter into a termination agreement with TT where LL
>    accepts TT’s offer of termination and surrender as of XX/XX/2022, that rent
>    has been received through June, that LL accepts such rent as an early
>    termination fee and releases TT from its obligations under the lease, and
>    the date of the agreement shall be used to calculate the 21-day move-out
>    accounting.
>

> Can LL consider the lease terminated and re-rent the apartment?
>
>    - After the early lease termination agreement above, I think so.
>

> Does LL have a duty to refund any of the proceeds received from the rental
> assistance program?
>
>    - I’d look at the wording of the agreement with the rental assistance
>    program.  That said, if it is worded like the KCBA/HJP’s Eviction Diversion
>    and Mediation Program, I don’t believe so.
>

> If LL does have to refund the rental assistance proceeds, does LL have any
> obligation to refund the security deposit for any reason?
>
>    - Minus any deductions, I would err on the side of “yes”.
>

> Does LL have an obligation to refund the security deposit even if they do
> not have an obligation to refund the rental assistance proceeds?
>
>    - See above.
>

> Regards,
>

> Maxwell B. Glasson
>
> *Glasson Legal, PLLC*
>
> 8 Boston Street, Suite 2                        *Please note our new
> address.*
>
> Seattle, Washington, 98109
>
> (206) 627-0528
>
> max at glassonlegal.com
>
> www.glassonlegal.com
>
> *WA# 51948  NV# 13339  CA# 292356*
>
> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS TRANSMISSION IS CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE
> ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED. THE INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF
> THE INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM OR THE ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED. IF YOU ARE
> NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR
> DELIVERING IT TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
> USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS
> STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY
> NOTIFY US AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson, Senior Associate Attorney

Dimension Law Group, PLLC

*Office:*  206-973-3500│*Fax:*  206-577-5090

*Email: **kaitlyn**@dimensionlaw.com <http://dimensionlaw.com/>*

*www.dimensionlaw.com <http://www.dimensionlaw.com/>*

130 Andover Park East, Suite 300, Tukwila, WA 98188

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This email (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify us by email, facsimile, or
telephone; return the email to us at the email address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.