[WSBARP] Interesting Residential Landlord/Tenant Ren Assistance Issue

Maxwell Glasson max at glassonlegal.com
Thu Apr 28 15:04:22 PDT 2022

Interesting,

Here are my thoughts in an out of order way:

Any thoughts on what LL needs to do to document this so that they are protected from the possibility of allegations that LL acted improperly?

  *   I would have LL enter into a termination agreement with TT where LL accepts TT's offer of termination and surrender as of XX/XX/2022, that rent has been received through June, that LL accepts such rent as an early termination fee and releases TT from its obligations under the lease, and the date of the agreement shall be used to calculate the 21-day move-out accounting.

Can LL consider the lease terminated and re-rent the apartment?

  *   After the early lease termination agreement above, I think so.

Does LL have a duty to refund any of the proceeds received from the rental assistance program?

  *   I'd look at the wording of the agreement with the rental assistance program.  That said, if it is worded like the KCBA/HJP's Eviction Diversion and Mediation Program, I don't believe so.

If LL does have to refund the rental assistance proceeds, does LL have any obligation to refund the security deposit for any reason?

  *   Minus any deductions, I would err on the side of "yes".

Does LL have an obligation to refund the security deposit even if they do not have an obligation to refund the rental assistance proceeds?

  *   See above.

Regards,

Maxwell B. Glasson
Glasson Legal, PLLC
8 Boston Street, Suite 2                        Please note our new address.
Seattle, Washington, 98109
(206) 627-0528
max at glassonlegal.com<mailto:max at glassonlegal.com>
www.glassonlegal.com<http://www.glassonlegal.com/>
WA# 51948  NV# 13339  CA# 292356
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS TRANSMISSION IS CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED. THE INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM OR THE ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING IT TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY US AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.