[WSBARP] Is a 20 day Notice to Terminate Tenancy under 59.18.200 sufficient to evict?

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Thu Apr 28 01:23:48 PDT 2022

Maxwell hit the nail on the head.

RCW 59.18.200 allows the *tenant *and *only the tenant* the right to
terminate the lease with 20 days notice. Otherwise any month to month is
only terminable by the landlord under Just Cause of RCW 59.18.650 or RCW
59.18.200(2).

Pursuant to RCW 59.18.650(4)
(4) A landlord who removes a tenant *or causes a tenant to be removed* from
a dwelling *in any way in violation of this section is liable to the tenant
for wrongful eviction,* and the tenant prevailing in such an action is
entitled to the greater of their economic and noneconomic damages or three
times the monthly rent of the dwelling at issue, and reasonable attorneys'
fees and court costs.

At this point, if the LL served that 20 day notice and the tenant believes
they need to move out - it could be argued that if the T moves out, and in
the process of moving out slips and falls and hurts themselves, then the LL
is liable to the tenant for what could be some pretty significant damages
because the notice was invalid and caused the tenant to be removed in
violation of the section.

Kaitlyn

*Sent with Right Inbox <https://www.rightinbox.com/?utm_source=signature>*

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 5:59 PM Maxwell Glasson <max at glassonlegal.com>
wrote:

> Hi Julie,
>

> If the tenancy has already become a month-to-month tenancy, then you can
> only give a “just-cause” notice under RCW 59.18.650(2).  If the lease was
> for a year term, and then converted to a month-to-month basis, the landlord
> would need to have given a 60-day notice *prior to* the expiration of the
> initial year term to have it terminate.  The same 60-day nonrenewal notice
> needs to be given even in the case of a lease that does not convert to
> month-to-month.
>

> Regards,
>

> Maxwell B. Glasson
>
> *Glasson Legal, PLLC*
>
> 8 Boston Street, Suite 2                        *Please note our new
> address.*
>
> Seattle, Washington, 98109
>
> (206) 627-0528
>
> max at glassonlegal.com
>
> www.glassonlegal.com
>
> *WA# 51948  NV# 13339  CA# 292356*
>
> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS TRANSMISSION IS CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE
> ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED. THE INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF
> THE INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM OR THE ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED. IF YOU ARE
> NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR
> DELIVERING IT TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
> USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS
> STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY
> NOTIFY US AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson, Senior Associate Attorney

Dimension Law Group, PLLC

*Office:*  206-973-3500│*Fax:*  206-577-5090

*Email: **kaitlyn**@dimensionlaw.com <http://dimensionlaw.com/>*

*www.dimensionlaw.com <http://www.dimensionlaw.com/>*

130 Andover Park East, Suite 300, Tukwila, WA 98188

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This email (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify us by email, facsimile, or
telephone; return the email to us at the email address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.