[WSBARP] Landlords, Mutual Agreements to Terminate, and COVID Relief Funds

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Wed Apr 13 13:00:41 PDT 2022

Scott -

Good eyes! So I dug a little deeper there.

*RCW 59.18.650(5)*
*Nothing* in subsection *(2)(d), (e), or (f)* of this section *permits a
landlord to end a tenancy for a specified period before the completion of
the term unless the landlord and the tenant mutually consent, in writing,
to ending the tenancy early and the tenant is afforded at least 60 days to
vacate.*

59.18.650(2)(d) = 90 days notice for personal/family occupancy
59.18.650(2)(e) = 90 days notice to sell
59.18.650(2)(f) = 90 days policy change / 120 days for conversion or
demolition

Based on the original facts posed above of the LL just wishing NOT to
accept the funds because of the additional strings attached (which the LL
is not obligated to accept as it is not considered a "pledge") then this
provision is not relevant. However, I have seen the scenario where there
are "multiple" causes (i.e. 14 day pay rent or vacate and 90 day notice to
sell) that overlap each other in a single matter so I think it's worth
pointing it out that during the mediations there can be some early lease
termination discussions that co-mingle with receipt of back rent or payment
plans with agreements to vacate. So, in those contexts, it's worth knowing
this provision could play a part in these considerations because if it is
violated (even under the guidance of a DRC), the landlord could later be
found liable to the tenant for "wrongful eviction" under RCW 59.18.650(4).

RCW 59.18.650(4) "A landlord who removes a tenant *or causes a tenant to be
removed from a dwelling in any way in violation of this section is liable
to the tenant for wrongful eviction*, and the tenant prevailing in such an
action is entitled to the greater of their economic and noneconomic damages
or three times the monthly rent of the dwelling at issue, and reasonable
attorneys' fees and court costs.

It's unlikely, but I've been flabbergasted with some of the
arguments/holdings in LLT a lot over the past 2 years so I'm very cautious
now.

Kaitlyn

*Sent with Right Inbox <https://www.rightinbox.com/?utm_source=signature>*

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 10:31 AM Maxwell Glasson <max at glassonlegal.com>
wrote:

> Brian,
>

> The only time I could see the funding agency making an issue of that is if
> they pay some prospective rent as well as the back rent.  I have seen that
> in King County where the offer typically has been to pay an additional
> three months of rent to stabilize the tenancy.
>

> That said, in those instances, I have amended the agreement with the
> funding agency to state more or less that the “*terminate or refuse to
> renew the tenancy*” provision only applies to situations involving
> nonpayment of rent.  That way I keep the door open for other terminations
> if necessary.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Maxwell B. Glasson
>
> *Glasson Legal, PLLC *
>
> 2212 Queen Anne Ave. N, #659
>
> Seattle, Washington, 98109
>
> 206-627-0528
>
> max at glassonlegal.com
>
> www.glassonlegal.com
>
> *WA# 51948  NV# 13339  CA# 292356*
>
> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS TRANSMISSION IS CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE
> ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED. THE INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF
> THE INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM OR THE ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED. IF YOU ARE
> NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR
> DELIVERING IT TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
> USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS
> STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY
> NOTIFY US AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson, Senior Associate Attorney

Dimension Law Group, PLLC

*Office:*  206-973-3500│*Fax:*  206-577-5090

*Email: **kaitlyn**@dimensionlaw.com <http://dimensionlaw.com/>*

*www.dimensionlaw.com <http://www.dimensionlaw.com/>*

130 Andover Park East, Suite 300, Tukwila, WA 98188

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This email (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify us by email, facsimile, or
telephone; return the email to us at the email address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.

*Please note that I will be going on leave starting November 15, 2021
through April 17, 2022, and will not have limited access to phone or email.
Please email Info at Dimensionlaw.com to receive assistance.*

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.