[WSBARP] Valuing a Life Estate Interest

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Sep 16 11:58:03 PDT 2021

I think it needs an appraiser. Valuation depends heavily on what restrictions there are on the interest, and also of course on the fact that ownership is limited to the life of the grantee, even when transferred to another person.

A true "life estate" as a fee interest is pretty rare, and if there is a trust involved I would guess that the trust provisions define or otherwise limit the person's use of the property. Those limits/restrictions can be substantially different from a true life estate, and if more restrictive also mean that the value of the interest is less. Then there is the discount for lack of marketability-who wants to buy a right to live at a property that only lasts until the seller dies?

IRS has a formula for valuing a life estate but that's more for tax purposes and I think it tends to drastically over-value the interest compared to actual market value.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.