[WSBARP] Testamentary Trust

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Tue Sep 7 12:03:21 PDT 2021

Jim,

I have never done (or seen) a separate document purporting to restate or implement a testamentary trust. In my mind, the trust is created by the will and its terms are limited to those found in the will and applicable law (which I would not try to state in a document form, I guess, personally).

I would instead create a certification of trust stating the usual terms, maybe the EIN obtained, maybe the probate case number in which the will is filed/probated, and then perhaps attaching as exhibits excerpts of the will that contain the relevant trust language (even including administrative provisions if necessary/helpful). (I might attach the entire will since it’s public record, but if it were preferable NOT to include some portion to make it “harder if not impossible” for someone to get ahold of, then an excerpt would be fine.)

I would be reluctant personally to try to draft a new document that does anything more than certifies the existence of the trust and its terms (per the will, not “new” ones) as described above.

All the best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street