[WSBARP] Gift of Real Property TiC with Later Regrets - Seeking to Refer

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Mon Nov 1 16:12:29 PDT 2021

Hello Real Property ListServ:

Some/many years ago an estate planning (C)lient of mine--before they were
my client--gifted partial title in a beach house here in Washington State
to a (F)riend, adding F as a Tenant-in-Common. C paid for the house and has
continued to maintain the house, paying all property taxes and expenses
associated with the house. C and F had a falling out some time ago (as in a
couple years back) but being classic non-lawyers they never addressed the
ongoing relationship inherent in co-owning real property. C now wants to
get F out of the arrangement and does not want to pay F, or at least does
not want to pay F much. My knowledge is stretched pretty thin pretty
quickly when it comes to issues like this; I know that C, as a TiC, can
force F to pay contribution for expenses of the house and C can rationally
deduct from the proceeds that F should receive for F's title any past
expenses that can be proven out, but my sense is that F owns half the
equity unless we have some kind of strong evidence to the contrary that I
do not imagine is forthcoming, and I believe that there's no argument that
would allow us to unwind the gift. I'm hoping I can refer C to another
lawyer who is much more knowledgeable than I to provide further guidance on
this, however, as there is almost certainly more that can be done than I
realize.

Beach house is in Mason County. C is here in Port Townsend. Ideally we
would find someone along the west side of the Salish Sea or perhaps in
Kitsap County, but C might not be picky. Self-referrals are perfectly fine.

Thank you folks!

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
800 Polk Street, Suite B
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***