[WSBARP] FW: Estate Tax Avoidance

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Mon May 10 17:45:41 PDT 2021

To my understanding, a Transfer on Death Deed does not remove any of the grantor's rights during lifetime or reduce the value of the property in the grantor's hands. It is fully revocable to the moment of death (at least in theory, subject to capacity, etc., but that also has nothing to do with estate tax valuation).

The grantor does not give up anything s/he must "take back" to fully own it again during lifetime. It is not like reserving a life estate or something like that, which indeed may have different valuation at death for estate tax purposes.

I would be very cautious concluding that a property subject to a TODD can be valued at any amount less than fair market value at date of death, just as it would be if it passed through probate. (Of course, if there are multiple tenants or such fun things, then valuation is the deceased person's interest, etc. But in general, I am not aware of any basis to value a property passed by TODD at less than FMV at date of death.)

Best regards, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street