[WSBARP] Estate Tax Avoidance

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Mon May 10 16:08:21 PDT 2021

Jim,

I’m not following why they need to shelter so much if they have around $4.6 million. With even simple disclaimer planning they can protect around $4.4 million — though they must do so at the death of each spouse given that there is no portability as in the federal system.

But neither TODD or beneficiary designations will keep those assets out of their taxable estates.

Beyond that, best advice is to tread carefully and bring in the help of an estate planning expert if needed.

Hope that helps as a starting point. Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street
Clarkston, WA 99403