[WSBARP] effect of bankruptcy of heir on trustee's sale

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 12:40:23 PDT 2021

I think that's the correct real estate law answer, but I'm not sure it's
the correct bankruptcy law answer.  I would look to someone who has
practiced bankruptcy law more recently than me, for I haven't even
practiced under the current Bankruptcy Act enacted some 15 years ago.

But my concerns are:

1.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy isn't typically that good of a solution for
non-judicial foreclosures, unless the trustee takes an interest in the
property and wants to sell.  The stay will terminate fairly quickly,
particularly if the case is considered a single-asset real estate case,
and/or the creditor could move to have the property abandoned by the
bankruptcy trustee.   Chapter 13 could have it's own issues, but is
generally better suited to dealing with foreclosures.

2.  During most of the time the Chapter 7 is open it would be the
trustee that would likely call the shots on selling, assuming a
trustee's interest in selling the property. The net proceeds of sale
would be subject to both the creditors of the deceased and the creditor
claims of the heir filing for bankruptcy.

3.  There's an obvious adverse impact on whichever heir files the
bankruptcy case.

4.  Claiming any kind of exemption in the property may deter the trustee
from administering the property, leading to the concerns expressed in
paragraph 1.  Also consider the impact of the new homestead law if that
is enacted.

5.  Technically the mortgage creditor might be able proceed to foreclose
the interest of the non-debtor heir, since that interest is not property
of the estate in a Chapter 7.  I doubt that would happen, but it would
be very problematic if it did.

Some thoughts unrelated to bankruptcy.

1.  I'm a bit surprised that a deed of trust trustee would not be
willing to delay their foreclosure process if there was clearly
sufficient equity and if a good effort were being made to sell the
property, particularly if the estate is in probate.  I'm not aware of
any basis for the probate court to stay their actions, but I'd consider
that possibility.

2.  There might be some difficulty getting payoff information from the
creditor given their debtor has passed away.  I assume they are
responsive to requests by probate administrators, but that issue can
hold up a non-forced sale.  I had a situation a couple of years ago
where my seller who obtained title by a foreclosure of their own had
difficulty getting a payoff for their sale transaction.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott, Inc.
206 723-2148