[WSBARP] Homeowner's Associations - Does RCW 42.56 Apply

Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Thu Mar 18 09:27:13 PDT 2021

Listmates,

HOA's record retention and disclosures are governed by RCW 64.38.045.  A
question was raised whether RCW 42.56.001 et.al., the Public Records Act,
also applies.  RCW 42.56.010(10 defines "Agency" to include "quasi-municipal
corporation, or special purpose district . . . board, . . . or other local
public agency."  I can't imagine the legislature intended to capture private
HOA's, or even condo associations, under this law with its onerous
provisions, but I don't know.  Have any of you run into this problem?

Jeff Davis