[WSBARP] REETA

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 15:00:31 PDT 2021

Marvin:

Interesting question. It kind of reminds me of situations with the IRS where the question has come up whether there was “eleemosynary intent” that would render debt forgiveness not income because it is a gift.

WAC 458-61A-201 doesn’t seem to speak to intent, just the absence of consideration. I’m going to assume the grantee of the condo is not assuming responsibility for any taxes or HOA dues already owing. That would be consideration.

I would just give careful thought to what the client is required to say, under penalty of perjury, in the Gift Supplement of the REET. Make sure you and the client are comfortable it’s true.

John J. Sullivan

Sent from my iPhone