[WSBARP] Unknown Boundary Dispute Remedy - Reality Check

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:47:22 PDT 2021

Listmates:  Neighbor recently builds new fence and garden on client's property.  Client confirms with a survey of encroachments.  In response to attorney demand letter to remove encroachments, neighbor says he'll remove improvements but not until the Fall.  Client doubts he'll do it even then.  So client asks me if client can set a date and threaten to remove the encroachments if neighbor doesn't remove by deadline (and then do it.)  Client called local sheriff who advised that client can get a "court order" to remove the encroachments and then request for a "civil standby"  to remove the encroachments to "keep the peace."  Now, I have no idea what the sheriff is talking about except maybe a quiet title action or an action for ejectment, all of which takes months and is, if I am use the "L" word, litigation.  Is there some expediated process out there I don't know about?  Something ex-parte?  I don't think so but I'd thought I'd bounce it off the hive-mind.  Thanks.