[WSBARP] boundary line agreement under RCW 58.04.007

Douglas Owens dougowens at seattlerelawyer.com
Fri Jul 30 09:51:30 PDT 2021

Dear list mates, I am hoping for some wise counsel on a question involving a boundary line agreement under the above statute.  My client owns a waterfront parcel in Mason County and the common boundary with his neighbor to the south is in some mild dispute.  The neighbor wants to relocate the line about fifteen feet into my client’s parcel and my client does not object or want payment.  The statute seems to say that the matter can be resolved by a simple agreement between the owners, acknowledged as for a deed, and accompanied by the legal descriptions of the parcels, the legal description of the new line and a survey map filed according to the statute.  We have all that, but the issues seem to be first whether in addition reciprocal quitclaims of interests on the other sides of the new line are needed, and second whether any government approval is required.  I do not see either of these as requirements in the statute but the surveyor who did the new survey with the boundary line included the quitclaim language in the survey and suggested that the county would have to be consulted and approve.  Does anyone have experience especially in Mason County with this type of situation?  Thank you.  Yours truly, Doug Owens