[WSBARP] A *complicated" Quitclaim Deed situation.

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 14:29:28 PDT 2021

Mary:

1.  Real concern. That’s why instead of claiming the exemption for undoing CP I would draft the deed as a gift conveyance to the other spouse as her CP. you can have a CP interest without being on title. That may mean needing to probate it at the donor’s death though all things being equal a CP Agreement might work for them.

2. There’s an unlimited marital deduction for gifts and inheritances to and by a citizen spouse (over and above the $2.2/$11.2M lifetime exemption. Assuming both are citizens it might not matter other than having to file a Form 709 if making it SP. But if it’s a gift that retains it CP character then the value is split between the two estates at a death.

John J. Sullivan

Sent from my iPhone