[WSBARP] A *complicated" Quitclaim Deed situation.

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 09:17:23 PDT 2021

The reason I always mention step up in basis with CP issues is that
quite frankly I'm not 100% sure of the results.  There are two issues
I'm concerned about.

1.  If CP then the basis of the entire property steps up, not just the
1/2 interest of the deceased spouse.  I'm not 100% certain that a QCD
would change that result, because I'm not 100% sure a QCD actually
changes the status of the property from CP to separate property.  Title
is not necessarily determinate of CP status.  But if it did change that
result that could be very bad. Arguably you'd go from 100% step up in
basis to no step up in basis.

2.  There's also the issue of estate taxes.  I believe CP going to the
surviving spouse is exempt from taxation, so I don't believe the
transfer to the spouse prior to death helps with estate taxes (either
federal or state).  What I don't know is whether the transfer might
cause some adverse estate tax result.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148