[WSBARP] real estate - tax issues

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 19:00:31 PST 2021

On 1/15/2021 10:32 AM, John J. Sullivan wrote:
> They looked at ending the step up (or studied it) in the Carter years.
> The administrative hassle of multigenerational basis tracking is a
> real burden. That’s what’s always stopped it before. You’re right that
> it’s tied at the hip to the estate tax to mitigate the overall burden.

I could see it would be very difficult to determine basis if you had to
could avoid gain on a residence by selling and then buying a house
within a certain time, determining basis sometimes required going back
though several prior transactions over a period of decades.  Even with
the owner still living the records were often probably a problem,
particularly if the properties had been improved.

But there too the surviving spouse situation is different.

Kary L. Krismer