[WSBARP] Ejectment vs Eviction under moratorium

tjw at w3net.net tjw at w3net.net
Wed Feb 10 15:21:59 PST 2021

Based upon my reading of the Governor's moratorium, which I am attaching, it
does not matter if there is a LL/T relationship; anyone that is on the
property legally as a resident from the beginning of their residency cannot
be evicted. At least that is the case in Thurston County and was recently
stated in a local bar CLE to be the case. The proclamation "Prevents
landlords, property owners, and property managers from (1) serving eviction
notices; (2) seeking eviction orders....." And, law enforcement is
prohibited from evicting as well, unless there are certain circumstances
that are exceptions as set forth in the proclamation. One caveat is, the
person must have been on the property legally at the outset; if not then you
supposed to be able to evict via ejectment or any other legal process, but
we have homeless people on property in Olympia that cannot be evicted by
private citizens or the City.

I am sitting on 2 ejectment actions right now that I started before the
moratorium and can't move forward until I can get a Judge to sign a Writ of
Restitution and law enforcement can evict.

Good luck if you have the courage to try it. Make sure you advice your
client there are risks.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

Rodgers Kee Card & Strophy, P.S.

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, Washington  98502

Phone: 360-352-8311

Facsimile: 360-352-8501

Email: tjw at buddbaylaw.com <mailto:tjw at buddbaylaw.com>

Skype: thomas.westbrook

www.buddbaylaw.com <http://www.buddbaylaw.com/>

The information contained in this email and attachment(s) are for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain private, privileged and/or
confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, you are strictly
prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
email or its contents in any way. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 360-352-8311 or by
e-mail to our receptionist at reception at buddbaylaw.com, and destroy the
original message from your electronic files.

COVID-19 UPDATE:

* Rodgers Kee Card & Strophy will no longer maintain "open" hours at the
physical office.

* All the staff is working remotely.  We are routinely monitoring our voice
mail and email, which is the best way to communicate during this period.

* We are still taking new clients but consultations will be telephonic or
via video conferencing, and any in-person meetings will be by appointment
and only if necessary to execute documents.

* Please provide necessary documents to us by scan and email, where
possible, or by mail if not.

* We anticipate these changes will be effective for the foreseeable future.
We are doing everything we can to maintain the level of service and
professionalism we've always provided, even in the face of this public
health crisis. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
We look forward to the soonest possible return to full operations and
continued service to our clients.