[WSBARP] RCW 59.18.650

Mark Anderson marka at mbaesq.com
Wed Dec 8 17:29:38 PST 2021

As long as we're on the subject of RCW 59.18.650, I faced a new issue in a UD hearing today (at least a new issue for me) when I sought a writ of restitution based on 650(2)(e) (landlord intends to sell).  The tenant was also behind in rent, and so I asked for a monetary judgment for that as well, just as I have in the past.  The commissioner entered an order directing the issuance of the writ, but denied my request for a monetary judgment for the rent, saying I needed to go through the ERPP before getting a judgment for rent.  The commissioner said I should commence a separate civil action for the amount owed.  However, on the order, the commissioner wrote "reserved" on the judgment summary next to the amount I had entered for the overdue rent and prejudgment interest.

The writ has now been issued and is out for service.  I understand that once the tenant is evicted, ERPP is no longer available.  So I'm stuck with a civil action against a deadbeat.  Does the "reserved" language mean I can or should convert the UD action into a civil action for rent?  Or do I have to file anew?

Mark B. Anderson
ANDERSON LAW FIRM PLLC
821 Dock St  Ste 209  PMB 4-12
Tacoma, Washington 98402
+1 253-327-1750
+1 253-327-1751 (fax)
marka at mbaesq.com<mailto:marka at mbaesq.com>
www.mbaesq.com<http://www.mbaesq.com/>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This transmission is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual named recipient. It may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, or other confidentiality protection. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender via e-mail or by telephone at (253) 327-1750 that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.