[WSBARP] Combining conveyances to save recording fees.

Dwight Bickel dwight at dwightbickel.com
Mon Aug 30 17:08:48 PDT 2021

Now that the first page is over $200, I see the motivation to reduce the number of recorded documents. I recommend considering the increased risk that the document will be correctly posted to the title company database.

I have recently drafted a conveyance that conveyed one parcel with a warranty but a second parcel without title warranty. That had the same parties as grantors and grantees. Of course you can have multiple parcels conveyed by the same deed with the same grantors and grantees. I recently had one deed with three parcels that Snohomish allowed without charging separate first page fees. I recall hearing that Snohomish County limited the number of parcels to five. I have seen one grantor as to one parcel and a second grantor as to a second parcel, but the same grantee. That was quitclaim as to both, or it would not have been possible to combine. Those were not charged as multiple transactions.

However, I don't think you can (and don't think you should try to) have one deed that conveys one parcel to one grantee and a second parcel to a second grantee. That would be two deeds and two recording fees. Can you imagine a new condo using one deed for the developer with different units for different purchasers?