[WSBARP] Conveyance from one spouse, to joint trust

Mark Anderson marka at mbaesq.com
Mon Aug 30 14:23:00 PDT 2021

I’ve looked at this before and a big sticking point is how to treat the exemptions.  Spouse to both to create community property is exempt from excise tax under WAC 458-61A-203(1).  Both to trust is exempt from excise tax under WAC 458-61A-211 (2)(g) if it is a revocable trust.  But if you try to go directly from one spouse to the trust, where both spouses are beneficiaries, there will have been a change in the beneficial ownership, which would disqualify the transaction from being exempt from excise tax.

Trying to do it all in one instrument would be a strained exercise not only for you, but for the recorder and treasurer as well.  For example, the grantors and grantees for each of the “parts” will be different.  This would be messy and create preventable title hardships in the future.

I recommend you do this in a two step process.  The added recording fee will probably be much less than the excise tax due on the transaction if you try to do it directly.

Mark B. Anderson
ANDERSON LAW FIRM PLLC
821 Dock St  Ste 209  PMB 4-12
Tacoma, Washington 98402
+1 253-327-1750
+1 253-327-1751 (fax)
marka at mbaesq.com<mailto:marka at mbaesq.com>
www.mbaesq.com<http://www.mbaesq.com/>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This transmission is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual named recipient. It may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, or other confidentiality protection. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender via e-mail or by telephone at (253) 327-1750 that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.