[WSBARP] Limited Warranty Deed vs Quit Claim

Carl Gay carl at greenawaylawfirm.com
Fri Apr 23 12:10:55 PDT 2021

Dear RPPT Colleagues (but especially title company counsel),

A long, long time ago
.I attended a CLE on estate and probate matters, and
learned a court-appointed personal representative (who had not actually
resided in a decedent’s personal residence) was prohibited from conveying
that residence via a statutory warranty deed, and ever since I have used a
Personal Representative’s Deed (with limited warranty) with the following
language suggested by the CLE presenter. I am curious what the title company
lawyers following this query think of this language. Thanks.

PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE'S DEED   (with limited warranty)

Reference no.:
*

Grantor: (last name first, then first name and initials)
*, as personal representative of the estate of *

Grantee: (last name first, then first name and initials)
1) *

2) *

Legal description (abbreviated):
*i.e. lot, block, plat or section, township, range10 &1010

Assessor's Tax Parcel #:                                               *

The undersigned grantor, *, as the duly appointed, qualified, and acting
personal representative of the estate of * , deceased (hereinafter “the
decedent”), in probate cause no. * in the Clallam County Superior Court of
Washington, and not in h* individual capacity, and as authorized by the
ORDER ADMITTING WILL TO PROBATE, APPOINTING PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE, AND
GRANTING NONINTERVENTION POWERS entered in said probate cause on *, 20**, to
settle the estate of the decedent without the intervention of any court, in
consideration of a transfer of real property by inheritance or devise, does
hereby convey and assign to *, a *single person/married person as *his/her
separate property, all of grantor’s right, title, and interest, including
any after-acquired property, in and to the following described real property
situated in Clallam County, state of Washington, to-wit:

                        [legal description]

The liability and obligation of grantor to grantee(s)* and grantee(s’)*
successors under the warranty contained herein shall be limited to the
amount, nature, and terms of any title insurance coverage available to
grantor under any title insurance policy.  Grantor shall have no liability
or obligations except to the extent that reimbursement for such liability or
obligation is available to grantor under any title insurance policy.

CARL LLOYD GAY

Non nobis solum nati sumus

     “Not unto ourselves alone are we born”

           ~the motto of Willamette University~

GREENAWAY, GAY, MEDINA & MYERS

Attorneys and Counselors at Law

734 East First Street       Suite A

Port Angeles, Washington   98362

Email                       <mailto:carl at greenawaylawfirm.com>
carl at greenawaylawfirm.com

Telephone               (360) 452-3323

Facsimile                  (360) 452-3724

THIS EMAIL TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL
OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED, AND MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION THAT IS COVERED BY THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS
PRIVACY ACT (18 USC §§ 2510-2521). IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR
AGENT RESPONSIBLE TO DELIVER THE MESSAGE TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE
HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS
COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS
COMMUNICATION IN ERROR; PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY TELEPHONE AND/OR
EMAIL AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. THANK YOU