[WSBARP] Update on Need for Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit to Record Transfer on Death Deed

Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Fri Apr 2 06:37:18 PDT 2021

Listmates,

A week or two ago we had a discussion regarding Jefferson County requiring
an real estate excise tax affidavit to record a transfer on death deed.  I
took another listmate's advice and sent in the affidavit with the $10 but
with a letter saying it was done under protest and cited the WAC provisions
showing no need for such a process.  Yesterday,  we learned we were right no
need for the affidavit with such a deed.  HOWEVER, because I was also
recording an Affidavit of Lack of Probate, on another matter, it was that
document that required the REETA.  WHAT!  I am not going to waste my time
researching the WAC's for such a requirement.  At least here in Clallam
County, we are never required to include the REETA when recording  such a
lack of probate affidavit or even a community property agreement.  County
Treasurers' creativity, or obstructionism, never ceases to amaze me.  At
least it is Friday!

Jeff Davis