[WSBARP] Taking Title Subject to Lien

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 20:05:23 PDT 2020

My analysis is slightly different than and/or expands on Dwight's first
paragraph.

6.13.090 was enacted after a Supreme Court decision held that a judgment
lien would not attach to homestead property until after an appraisal
procedure was done in the court proceeding.  That obviously would be
rather cumbersome, so the recording procedure was enacted as a
substitute.  I don't remember the name of that case, but it is probably
a year or two prior to the enactment of 6.13.090, whenever that was (I'm
guessing pre-1984).

That said, I don't think the bankruptcy filing claiming homestead is
conclusive.  I agree that if it did not attach pre-petition that nothing
could be done after the filing to get it to attach without violating the
stay and/or discharge order.  But that assumes the property was
homestead property the entire period after entry of the judgment.  But
that might not be the case.  For example assume these facts:  The
judgment was entered, two years later the judgment debtor started
renting the property out for five years, then lived in it again for two
years, then filed bankruptcy claiming homestead.  I would argue the
judgment attached during the five year rental period.  You would then
need to determine if the debtor could have avoided the judgment during
the bankruptcy under 522(f) to know whether it's worth pursuing, because
unless something has changed with the Bankruptcy Act they could still
reopen the case and avoid the lien.

As to Dwight's second paragraph I I'm not sure either side could do a
motion in the bankruptcy court since it's really asking for declaratory
relief.  That might require an adversary proceeding rather than a
motion, and unlike a 522(f) motion I'm not sure you could reopen the
case for such an adversary proceeding.  This might be an area where the
state courts would have concurrent jurisdiction to determine whether or
not the lien attached pre-petition.  If the state court has that
jurisdiction and decides it did attach pre-petition, then the bankruptcy
court could still determine whether it could be avoided under 522(f).  I
think the bankruptcy court may have exclusive jurisdiction on that issue.

Disclaimer:  I'm old, forgetful (or at least so says my wife) and I have
not practiced bankruptcy for approximately 15 years now, none of which
was under the current Bankruptcy Act.  Oddly I think my recollection for
the material in the first paragraph is better than for the second, even
though the latter is over 35 years old. I would advise looking to a
current bankruptcy practitioner to get their analysis of how to proceed
if the property was in fact not homestead property for a period of time
between entry of the judgment  and the filing of bankruptcy.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148