[WSBARP] SFR Definition Include a Guest Cottage?

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:03:19 PDT 2020

Listmates, after rummaging around CaseMaker for a few hours, I am turning to the hivemind.  I have a client living in a house with a water system agreement saying each hook-up is for "normal household purposes of the occupants of a maximum of one single-family residence on each benefited property."   The client wants to build a "guest cottage" on the client's property and, upon initial review, appears able to do so under local county zoning rules (single parcel, less than 1000 sq. ft, single driveway, etc.)  Client would like to expand use of water to include the guest cottage without having to ask other "water users" for permission to build the guest house or to modify the water agreement to allow water to the guest house.  Is there any ruling or case out there that says that the definition of a "single family residence" includes all legal out-buildings, accessory buildings, and/or, !!!,  guest cottages?