[WSBARP] HOA common area question

Anthony Gibbs anthony at sounderlaw.com
Thu Oct 8 13:07:40 PDT 2020

I have an interesting question from a PC:

PC is in HOA; new construction. PC’s sprinkler system was inadvertently set up by the Declarant-builder to water the adjacent common area, and caused the PC’s sprinkler system to water the common area by entering upon their property to turn valves. When PC discovered this, she notified the HOA, which entered her property to disconnect the system, managing to damage her sprinkler system while they were at it.

She’s asked if the HOA could be liable for the damage and if she might be able to recover the cost of the water for sprinkling the common area.

Any thoughts on this or leads for research are most appreciated!

Anthony F. Gibbs, Esq.
Sounder Law PLLC

(206) 734-4374 [P]
(206) 212-7825 [F]
anthony at sounderlaw.com<mailto:anthony at sounderlaw.com>
sounderlaw.com

22014 7th Ave South, Suite 106
Des Moines, WA 98198

15600 Redmond Way, Suite 101
Redmond, WA 98052

**[IN-PERSON MEETINGS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY DUE TO COVID-19 AND AN ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION]**

If you received this email by accident or by some other mistake, please immediately delete it and forget anything you might have read in it, which are probably all just lies anyway. Thank you. I’d also appreciate you notifying me of the error.