[WSBARP] unmarried couple - property agreement?

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Tue May 12 15:10:04 PDT 2020

Yes. The right process can expose issues. Commonly, one will go to a lawyer,
thinking that everything is all settled, and planning to use just the one
lawyer. That lawyer has sense enough to insist on separate counsel. Separate
counsel then looks at the proposal and there is substantial disagreement.

This makes the two face the really hard issues, with professional advice
about rights and responsibilities, and clarifying what they can agree to,
which is a good thing.

The best contract is almost always the most complete, and fairest to both
sides. More buy-in and fewer disputes over time, producing more certainty
for both sides.

Rob