[WSBARP] Why doesn't a buyer get a new three-day rescission period after discovering inaccuracy in the seller's real property disclosure statement?

David Daniel ddaniel at demcolaw.com
Tue Mar 31 14:12:08 PDT 2020

Here is the history (as I recall) on this mistaken amendment to the
statute. The legislature adopted into law that which was previously in
place in the NWMLS Inspection Addendum (Form 35). It was appropriately in
the Inspection Addendum because it prevented Buyer from taking advantage of
a loophole: that after satisfying/waiving their inspection contingency (but
before closing), Buyer (who now needed an out) would demand that Seller
amend Form 17 to disclose that which was revealed through Buyer's
inspection process, but had not been disclosed on Form 17. It was an
unscrupulous trick that would leave Seller stranded under the Seller
Disclosure Statute as they were required to either correct the condition or
amend the disclosure (thereby triggering a new 3-day rescission period for
Buyer). The resulting disputes often ended in "splitting the baby" and
general dissatisfaction.

NWMLS correctly addressed the void by stating in the Inspection Addendum
(Form 35) that which is now in the statute: that Seller need not disclose
defects discovered by Buyer or someone on Buyer's behalf. The problem with
adopting this concept into the seller disclosure statute is that it is not
under the auspices of an inspection contingency, where Buyer would have the
right to renegotiate and/or terminate. Once becoming statutory language,
NWMLS removed it from the Inspection Addendum as it had become superfluous.

So ordinarily when I have a situation where Buyer discovers something late
in the process which it appears Seller should have disclosed, I argue that
Seller's initial disclosure was inaccurate and that Buyer's 3-day
termination right therefore never commenced as the Seller never made a
complete disclosure. This legislative amendment clearly cannot be argued to
authorize intentional misrepresentation by Seller.

It's usually enough to kick up some dust if nothing else.

Happy to discuss further if you'd like.

*David C. Daniel*, Attorney

* DEMCO LAW FIRM, P.S.*

*Email |* *ddaniel at demcolaw.com <ddaniel at demcolaw.com>*