[WSBARP] Landlord/tenant - damage to floors / calculating cost

Rachel Bender rachel at bender-law.com
Tue Jun 9 13:42:43 PDT 2020

Thank you, Roger.

This is Ipe (genuine hardwood) installed in 2008; it isn't fancy or unique
flooring. Very glossy finish, so one would think a cleaning and sealant
would fix this (there's a debate re: whether it's superficial scratches vs.
actually penetrating the hardwood). Based on the pictures I've seen, it's
superficial.

Landlord got one quote, but is willing to entertain estimates from
company's contacted by tenant - who was able to obtain a $500-700 estimate
already.  Landlord claims he's on a "time crunch" (probably the next tenant
lined up) and this all needs to be addressed "immediately" - like within 24
to 48 hours.

To throw another wrench in things, tenant gave landlord 60 days' notice of
intent to move out (per their lease), which means tenant had to pay for the
first 10 days of June. Tenant already moved out, so landlord has been able
to access the townhouse for the last week. Anyway, they agreed via email
that the prorated amount for the first 10 days of June ($850) would come
out of the security/damage deposit - but now that there's this horrendous
bill for the floors, the landlord is insisting that the tenant cough up the
$850. It's just a mess.

I think this is the landlord's first time being a landlord.

*Rachel R. Bender | *Member, Attorney

*Bender Law PLLC*
1001 Fourth Avenue* | *Suite 4400 *|* Seattle, WA 98154
*Reception*: 206.577.7987 *| Direct*: 206.389.1744 *|* *Fax*: 206.693.4365
www.bender-law.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email and its attachments are confidential and may be
protected by the attorney/client privilege, work product doctrine, or other
nondisclosure protection. If you believe that it has been sent to you in
error, you may not read, disclose, print, copy, store or disseminate the
email or any attachments or the information in them. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify this attorney immediately by
replying to this email.