[WSBARP] Lost Will - Witnesses Dead/Dementia - Drafting Attorney Disbarred

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jul 22 10:08:23 PDT 2020

Was this a self-proving will? If so I think the photocopy of the affidavit is itself admissible as evidence to prove the contents of the lost Will, if you have someone-perhaps the son?-testify to its authenticity in a Declaration describing the circumstances under which it was found. A backup Declaration from the drafting attorney might help, to confirm that he did in fact prepare such a Will for the decedent. I posted a while back on this topic, cut-and-pasted here:

My argument concerning a photocopy of the self-proving affidavit is that the copy is directly admissible as evidence under ER 1003<https://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/pdf/ER/GA_ER_10_03_00.pdf>. The affidavit is evidence and is not an operative part of the Will. The "destroy with intent to revoke" presumption that applies to lost original Wills has no effect on the affidavit itself; the testator can't "revoke" the evidentiary affidavit. It continues to qualify as a self-proving affidavit attached to "a photocopy of the will" in compliance with RCW 11.20.020(2)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.20.020>, and it is in writing and signed by witnesses in compliance with RCW 11.20.070(1)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.20.070>. It is firm evidence of proper execution of the lost Will, and the copy of the Will attached to it readily proves the content of the Will.

You can authenticate the copy of the affidavit and the Will contents sufficient for RCW 11.20.070(2)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.20.070> by having someone testify to the authenticity of the copy of the Will; I recently did that where the decedent had given the PR a copy of the Will 20 years ago and it had been kept in a sealed envelope by the PR until the decedent's death. The PR testified to personal receipt of the sealed envelope from the testator, and unsealing of the envelope and finding the copy of the Will within. Even easier, if the copy of the Will was maintained by an attorney's office and someone at the firm can testify to it being kept in their records.

Once you have contents and execution proved, the last hurdle is to rebut the weak presumption that the Will was destroyed by the testator with intent to revoke it.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.