[WSBARP] The term "Convey" in a Quitclaim Deed

Gregory L. Ursich gursich at insleebest.com
Tue Jul 7 12:33:05 PDT 2020

You need the word “convey” to have a valid deed to real estate in Washington.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2020, at 12:55 PM, Eric Nelsen <Eric at sayrelawoffices.com> wrote:

The statutory form requires use of the word "convey", as do all the statutory forms of deeds—

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.04.050

RCW 64.04.050<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.04.050>
Quitclaim deed—Form and effect.
Quitclaim deeds may be in substance in the following form:
The grantor (here insert the name or names and place of residence), for and in consideration of (here insert consideration) conveys and quitclaims to (here insert grantee's name or names) all interest in the following described real estate (here insert description), situated in the county of . . . . . ., state of Washington. Dated this . . . . day of . . . . . ., (year) . . . .
Every deed in substance in the above form, when otherwise duly executed, shall be deemed and held a good and sufficient conveyance, release and quitclaim to the grantee, his or her heirs and assigns in fee of all the then existing legal and equitable rights of the grantor in the premises therein described, but shall not extend to the after acquired title unless words are added expressing such intention.
[ 2016 c 202 § 39;<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/2359-S.SL.pdf?cite=2016%20c%20202%20%C2%A7%2039;> 2012 c 117 § 188;<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/6095.SL.pdf?cite=2012%20c%20117%20%C2%A7%20188;> 1929 c 33 § 11;<http://leg.wa.gov/CodeReviser/documents/sessionlaw/1929c33.pdf?cite=1929%20c%2033%20%C2%A7%2011;> RRS § 10554. Prior: 1886 p 178 § 5.<http://leg.wa.gov/CodeReviser/Pages/session_laws.aspx?cite=1886%20p%20178%20%C2%A7%205.>]

At common law, a critical issue in interpreting a deed was finding a clear, present, intent to convey. Some word such as "convey," "grant," "assign and set over," or "transfer" was essential. See 23 Am.Jur.2d Deeds Sec. 35. That wasn't actually necessary for a quitclaim, which historically was merely a transfer of a person's interest in land whatever it may be, and not the land itself. (Sounds philosophical to the point of obscurity to me, but there it is.) The phrase for quitclaims was "remise, release, and quitclaim." According to AmJur, there is a considerable body of common law decisions in the U.S. that make hay out of the difference between "words of grant" in a deed that would convey land, versus "words of release" that convey the grantor's interest in the land and not the land itself.

So, I think that, if an instrument does not clearly invoke the statutory form by using the words "convey and quitclaim," then it would be interpreted under common law of deeds and perhaps would not be considered a conveyance of land but only a release of interest? Arguably the word "quitclaim" is sufficient but the use of the specific word "convey" in virtually all deeds is so thoroughly embedded into Washington law I can understand getting pushback from a title company.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.