[WSBARP] Road Maintenance cost allocatio

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Tue Dec 1 10:40:41 PST 2020

Hi Tim -

A common method is to simply designate that measurements shall be an X %
that is roughly equivalent to either the driveways or the property
boundaries. I personally prefer the latter, both because you can then use a
more precise calculation and because it will remain consistent. While I can
appreciate some clients prefer up to the driveway as the rest isn't
actually used by them - and technically that is what the plat would require
- for reliability of the calculation, given the person still has the right
to use that road,

I really dislike these kinds of provisions as then you also raise the
question of "usage" beyond distance. Some owners will complain that they
only use their drive modestly (say a single person or couple) where another
uses their drive several times a day such as a larger family, small
business, if there is a multi-unit complex, etc. I find those complaints a
bit petty but they happen - though more merit to an objection when possible
commercial use, which can greatly expand use in frequency and type of
vehicle even if just doing deliveries, much less individual clients. In
such a case you can always look to see if the easement for drives is
restricted to residential ingress/egress (common). And I've had a case
where the owner drove semis, another where they had a construction
business, so their use and impact on road significantly more given the
heavy vehicles (though in both cases they willingly contributed extra by
occasional specific maintenance they solely paid for).

Either way you can see the problems, and how they can give rise to issues
in a community that has a particularly fussy neighbor or neighbor tensions
in quibbling about "useage". So if you can get some agreement between the
neighbors that narrows "usage" thing this down, like using a straight
percentage (and perhaps limitations on residential versus commercial),
that's awesome.

I'd also recommend that you include language as to the base level of
maintenance - i.e., "in present condition" even does it; or specified type
(say gravel). There is common law on it (any improvements must be paid by
the owner(s) wanting it and cannot be passed on to the other owners), but
again ambiguity can lead to conflict. So being clear on what the base is
from which you'd calculate "improvements" can prove helpful down the road.
Including possibly considering provisions for expansions of drive to fill
the easement space where original road only took up part. I've had issues
where a back-lot neighbor ended up with a big truck or use of horse (or
other) trailers and needed to expand wider (still within the easement), but
other owners objected to costs as it wasn't them that needed it.

Carmen