[WSBARP] Moratorium -- lease renegotiations

Peter Crocker peterecrocker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 18:13:39 PDT 2020

All,
Under the eviction moratorium, landlords are "prohibited from increasing, or threatening to increase, the rate of rent." ON the face of it, that prevents a landlord even from a good faith renegotiation of a lease that ends prior to 10/15. What are your thoughts  on whether that would change if the terms of the lease were being substantially changed, at the tenant’s request? For example, if the new lease were being signed because the tenant was taking possession of 100% of the property, where previously they had only had possession of it as something like a roommate?

(Note: over the course of writing this up, it has come to look workable to me, but that's certainly the answer that I want to see, so I'm still suspicious.)

Sincerely,
Peter

Law Office of Peter Crocker, PLLC
210 Polk St., Ste. 6A
Port Townsend, WA 98368
peter at petercrockerlaw.com
360-344-8474

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and destroy the copy you received.***