[WSBARP] Porter v. Kirkendoll

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Sep 27 11:47:33 PDT 2019

I read Porter with interest, and also just read Chen v. Thomas (unpublished 29661-6-II Jan. 13, 2014) that Jeff Davis posted. I agree that this is definitely a case of two statutes legislated at different times and covering overlapping ground, and I agree that the best service the Supreme Court could have done in this instance would have been to point out the conflict, then do their best to deal frankly with it until the legislature fixes it.

That said, I do think they almost got there, by stating that RCW 64.12.030 and RCW 4.24.630 are "redundant" when it comes to injury, damage, or removal of trees/timber from the property. Redundancy at least implies that one of them is unnecessary and should be deleted.

I think it could have been more clearly stated that the scope of redundancy is determined by the scope of RCW 64.12.030: when the act is to injure/damage/remove trees/timber/shrubs. In that circumstance, RCW 4.24.630 does not apply at all because subsection (2) explicitly states that RCW 64.12.030 controls. Since treble damages are available either way, the only difference is that if one trespasses and injures trees/timber, there is no attorney fee award available to the plaintiff. Which seems nonsensical to me, as I see no policy reason why that particular type of damage should be exempted from the attorney fee award.

Analytically, I suppose that means I would look at RCW 64.12.030 first, and see if my case's injuries are covered. If so, I'm stuck with no fee award. But to the extent there are any injuries that are not covered, I can go to RCW 4.24.630 and get a fee award at least relating to pursuit of those claims.

For what it's worth, I have seen circumstances where there is trespass and waste without injury to trees/timber. Of course there are plenty of cases where a neighbor bulldozes over a boundary line and knocks down the adjacent landowner's trees or landscaping, or hires a timber harvester and points them at the wrong boundaries. But major vandalism of a building and other improvements, whether by physical damage or by contamination from, say, meth manufacture or smoking, can all cause waste of property without implicating timber trespass. Even in a case of actual timber trespass where valuable trees have been cut down and hauled off, maybe there was collateral damage that still could be pursued under 4.24.630? Denuding land causing erosion, cuts and fills, leaving piles of slash that have to be cleaned up, damaged and degraded dirt roads, costs of restoration...RCW 4.24.630 also covers any and all "wrongful waste or injury to the land or personal property or improvements" in addition to the timber itself, and RCW 64.12.030 doesn't.

The legislative history is interesting--RCW 4.24.630 was enacted in 1994<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/1993-94/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/6080.SL.pdf?cite=1994%20c%20280%20%C2%A7%201.> and was a bill to protect "agricultural and forest land." The same bill also amended RCW 79.01.760 (now RCW 79.02.300<https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=79.02.300>) which is explicitly about Public Lands Management. And the attorney fees award is available to plaintiff only; it's a one-way award provision. I wonder if the legislature even truly intended this statute to apply to anything other than agricultural and forest land.

In contrast, RCW 64.12.030 has been around since territorial times--at least 1869--and has never been updated except to add protection for Christmas trees in 2009. Unsurprisingly, it has no attorney fee provision.

RCW 4.24.630
Liability for damage to land and property-Damages-Costs-Attorneys' fees-Exceptions.
(1) Every person who goes onto the land of another and who removes timber, crops, minerals, or other similar valuable property from the land, or wrongfully causes waste or injury to the land, or wrongfully injures personal property or improvements to real estate on the land, is liable to the injured party for treble the amount of the damages caused by the removal, waste, or injury. For purposes of this section, a person acts "wrongfully" if the person intentionally and unreasonably commits the act or acts while knowing, or having reason to know, that he or she lacks authorization to so act. Damages recoverable under this section include, but are not limited to, damages for the market value of the property removed or injured, and for injury to the land, including the costs of restoration. In addition, the person is liable for reimbursing the injured party for the party's reasonable costs, including but not limited to investigative costs and reasonable attorneys' fees and other litigation-related costs.
(2) This section does not apply in any case where liability for damages is provided under RCW 64.12.030, * 79.01.756, 79.01.760, 79.40.070, or where there is immunity from liability under RCW 64.12.035.
[ 1999 c 248 § 2; 1994 c 280 § 1.]

RCW 64.12.030
Injury to or removing trees, etc.-Damages.
Whenever any person shall cut down, girdle, or otherwise injure, or carry off any tree, including a Christmas tree as defined in *RCW 76.48.020, timber, or shrub on the land of another person, or on the street or highway in front of any person's house, city or town lot, or cultivated grounds, or on the commons or public grounds of any city or town, or on the street or highway in front thereof, without lawful authority, in an action by the person, city, or town against the person committing the trespasses or any of them, any judgment for the plaintiff shall be for treble the amount of damages claimed or assessed.
[ 2009 c 349 § 4; Code 1881 § 602; 1877 p 125 § 607; 1869 p 143 § 556; RRS § 939.]

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC