[WSBARP] Sale of Mobile Home

Eric Lanza eric at buzzardlaw.com
Fri Sep 20 11:39:59 PDT 2019

Writ of Replevin and/or Writ of Ejectment seem like suitable candidates.

From my understanding, WA is a title state and a UCC-1 cannot perfect a security interest in titled goods (unless the titled goods are inventory, like cars at a car dealership). So, lack of UCC-1 shouldn’t matter.

Even if you have an enforceable security agreement, and a perfected security interest, the non-judicial repossession provisions in Article 9 are probably not going to be helpful in this situation.

If the replevin/ejectment route doesn’t stick, you could sue breach of contract, get an in rem judgment, have the court order the sale of the mobile to satisfy the judgment.

Given the minimal value of the property, if the replevin/ejectment doesn’t work maybe propose a “cash for keys” deal rather than going through a full blown judicial foreclosure.

Eric J. Lanza, J.D.