[WSBARP] Judgment lien issue

Andrew Hay andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net
Fri Sep 6 11:38:07 PDT 2019

Wow - that is a tricky one!
I haven't seen this issue so others who have addressed it may have some input based on their experience.
But I would not want to release the lien before the appeal is concluded.  The problem is you need some cover in case a sale or refinance does not go through because of the lien and there are damages.
You could file a motion in the trial court asking for a declaratory ruling that determines that the judgment payoff is a certain amount at present but is subject to amendment in the future due to appeal such that payoff at the current amount will not release the judgment lien and the lien may increase depending on the outcome of the appeal.  Alternatively ask the court to indicate the lien amount is just not fixed at the moment.  Or allow the sale and ask that ALL sale proceeds be held in the court registry or a trust account until the appeal is done and the lien amount is determined.
Or tell them all sale proceeds have to be interpled and held pending resolution of an action to determine the proper amount of the judgment lien.

Andrew Hay
Hay & Swann PLLC
201 S. 34th St.
Tacoma, WA 98418
www.washingtonlaw.net<http://www.washingtonlaw.net/>
andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net<mailto:andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net>
253.272.2400 (w)
253.377.3085 (c)
THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION AND IS INTENDED FOR THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT ONLY.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES