[WSBARP] Can Realtor Have "In House" Title/Escrow Company?

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Tue Oct 22 06:46:24 PDT 2019

I think what you may be remembering is that the Insurance Commissioner
cracked down on title companies giving things to real estate agents.
Not sure it was a change in the law as much a change of enforcement
effort.  This upset me greatly because all I ever got from a title
company was a mere hotdog.  Little did I know they were giving things of
value away!

I would say that change occurred about 10 years ago.  It got to the
point where title companies started charging for cancellation fees on
title policies, practically unheard of before, and $3.50 for an address
list of people living in a certain neighborhood.

Somewhat on this topic though, I do remember one office I was associated
with about that same time decided to obtain an in-house affiliated
lender.  I remember they were required to have a separate door, and
maybe a separate address, but I don't know the basis for those
requirements or if they were even based on actual law or fiction.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott, Inc.
206 723-2148