[WSBARP] Foreclosure of Reverse Mortgage

tjw at w3net.net tjw at w3net.net
Wed Nov 6 11:34:58 PST 2019

Dewey,

Assuming the Deed of Trust (or Deeds of Trust if a HUD insured reverse mortgage) provides that the Grantor must keep the taxes and insurance paid, then failure to pay would be a reason to foreclosure. I assume since you are talking about a MSJ this is this a judicial foreclosure?

If paying the taxes and insurance is your client’s obligation and she hasn’t paid, then one option is for her to pay both directly if anyone in her family has the money to help her. But, if your research indicates that she had paid, then a simple affidavit from her with any documentary evidence you have would certainly preclude a Judge granting summary judgment against a 91 year old lady.

Also, check if there was an escrow account set up that is supposed to pay the taxes and insurance and if so, how is it funded. I would expect the lender (Beneficiary) would be the one paying the taxes and insurance from an escrow account that was either funded by your client by monthly payments or perhaps some of the upfront money was put into the escrow account to make payments.

The devil is in the details.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

Rodgers, Kee, Card & Strophy, P.S.

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, Washington  98502

Phone: 360-352-8311

Facsimile: 360-352-8501

Email:  <mailto:tjw at buddbaylaw.com> tjw at buddbaylaw.com

Skype: thomas.westbrook

 <http://www.buddbaylaw.com/> www.buddbaylaw.com

The information contained in this email and attachment(s) are for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain private, privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this email or its contents in any way. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 360-352-8311 or by e-mail to  <mailto:shannon at buddbaylaw.com> shannon at buddbaylaw.com, and destroy the original message from your electronic files.