[WSBARP] amending restrictive covenants - statute?

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Thu May 30 15:29:55 PDT 2019

Thanks Rob
I have a case where some very simple, old  CC&R’s have only one sentence about amendments.  It says: The CC&R’s “automatically extended for successive periods of ten (10) years, unless an instrument signed by a majority of the then owners of the lots has been recorded, agreeing to change said covenants in whole or in part.”

That was probably intended only to allow the CC&R’s to be in perpetuity if 50% sign a new covenant.  However, on its face that seems to set up a mere 50%+ to amend covenants.  With nothing more, my first thought was that any amendment would apply to signatories of it but not to opponents of the new covenant until those lots are sold.  If I bought a lot, thoroughly read all the CC&R’s and 2 weeks later, without notice to me, 51% of the land owners (or even one owner with 51% of the lots) signed a new set of CC&R’s, I wouldn’t be happy.

Anyone think that given the above poorly drafted CC&R’s that it would not be immediately enforceable against non-signing lot owners?

Josh
Joshua F. Grant

P. O. Box 619
Wilbur, WA 99185