[WSBARP] [WSBAPT] Update on Changes to the RPPT Listservs

Michael Safren msafren at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:02:18 PDT 2019

Hello Listservers:

I received an inquiry about the decision to move the Listservs to a members
only model with respect to certain emeritus members such as retired
attorneys, law professors, and others.

The Executive Committee had a lengthy debate about creating some sort of
emeritus member status for the Listserves and ultimately decided not to
proceed in that direction.  There were a multitude of reasons for this
decision.

First, the administration of such a process would be impractical.
 Creating an emeritus status for just the Listservs would require a host of
technical changes to the login credentials to create a "Listserv only"
login.  Further it would require a manual process of checking whether those
requesting emeritus status were members were in fact former members of the
bar as well as deciding which statuses (there is no emeritus status with
WSBA) would qualify for emeritus status.  This process would grow
exponentially as the year go by and more and more practitioners continue to
retire.

The Executive Committee was also concerned that granting emeritus status to
certain non-members could bring up questions of fairness over
participation. While a number of section members expressed their support
for the emeritus status, a number of members all expressed disapproval that
non-members were able to gain member benefits.   Moreover, there is no
ready criteria for determining which Listserv participants qualified as
emeritus and which did not.

Lastly, the Executive Committee reasoned that emeritus members could still
participate in the Listserv simply by paying the $25 section membership
dues.  Emeritus members would not need to pay full bar dues, only the RPPT
section member dues to be considered section members.  While emeritus
members participation in the Listserv could help section members who use
the Listserv, the Executive Committee believes that the benefit of
participating in the Listserv also runs to the emeritus member, connecting
them to the world of active practitioners, and helping emeritus members
stay engaged with the practice of law.

I hope this helps to explain and clarify the Executive Committee's decision
on this point.

Kind regards,
Michael Safren
Web Editor, RPPT section